Retroit, I understand your point of view, however, there's alot more to it than simply letting lots go back to nature. There are definite safety issues involved when grasses grow upwards of 4 feet, which, given the recent weather may happen sooner than we expect. Additionally, there's lots of trash in the city and I would venture to guess that most of it will end up in those lots that are not being cut. Long lots are a great place to hide all manner of things, including people out to do no good.
There's also a traffic safety issue. Have you ever tried pulling out of an intersection when the lots are so high you cannot see oncoming traffic? Not fun.
I know grass cutting seems a luxury, but it is something that needs to be done for the safety of the residents.
Regarding the parks, I'm ok if we close some, but I am sure there are families in the city that use the parks they are considering closing. Even if they remain open there will be no one to pick up the trash. That's a health and safety issue too.
We already have limited recreational resource and more than enough children playing in the streets. With lots growing too high and parks closed we will have even more. This is a safety issue and a quality of life issue.