The skylight over the sanctuary

One of the more dazzling sights was the massive pipe organ.

Kitchen and dining hall beneath the sanctuary.

Woodward Presbyterian's future is uncertain: shortly after these pictures were taken, I happened upon a group of parishioners having a service in front of the church. They later explained that they were trying to purchase the church from the bank that had foreclosed upon it with the hope of reopening it.

Within the last few months cleanup work has began, and according to friends of mine who have spoken with workers, the building is to be turned into a homeless shelter. Regrettably, the pipe organ has been completely torn out.

I haven't been back to WPC since these pictures were taken. The new owner has taken steps to secure the location, and I feel strongly about not breaking an entering. It is my hope that the new owner at least stabilizes the building and arrests the decay; a full restoration would be ideal, but unlikely given the potential cost.

Please share any experiences or news you might have of this fine location. If there is interest, I'll start a series on the churches of Woodward avenue.

For the full gallery and more details, see the article at detroiturbex.com