Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I may have found William J. Murphy #18. I looked at the Nationwide Gravesite Locator. This site displays where veterans are buried. The website is http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov When I inputed William Murphy with the birth year of 1895 one of the ones that came up was

5. MURPHY, WILLIAM J PFC US ARMY WORLD WAR I DATE OF BIRTH: 04/16/1895 DATE OF DEATH: 12/10/1959 BURIED AT: SECTION G SITE 497 NEW ALBANY NATIONAL CEMETERY 1943 EKIN AVENUE NEW ALBANY, IN 47150 [[812) 948-5234

Now, I know that this person is buried in Indiana and not Michigan, but he may have moved. I have tried to see if the cemetery has a website that I could email them to see if this is the same William J. Murphy from Michigan, unfortunately they do not, but this might be a new lead.

Hi Faygoredpop,

Thank you very much for research. Sometimes, I don’t understand very well. But I try to progress.
    I will write that I understand.
    You found a William Murphy who could be the number 18. But He moved in Indiana and his birth date is not the same that this number 18. It is perhaps a new clue [[a new William Murphy).

Cordially and more soon.

Mary

Regarding William J. Murphy # 18, it appears to me that we have probably combined information about two different men with the same first and last names who were born three days apart.

Unless we find conflicting information, we will assume that William J. Murphy #18 is the man who was born on 16 April 1895 and died on 10 Dec 1959, since the birth date in the Nationwide Gravesite Locator matches that given on the draft registration card and the Nationwide Gravesite Locator tells us that he was a WW I veteran. The fact that he is buried in this National Cemetery for veterans [map] in an adjacent state does not necessarily mean that he ever lived in that state.

We will also want to investigate to see if there is more information about a William Murphy who [[according to the Social Security Death Index) was born on 19 April 1895 and died in Nov 1970. I will identify him as William Murphy #19 on the summary page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

En ce qui concerne William J. Murphy # 18, il me semble que nous avons probablement information combinée de deux hommes différents avec les mêmes noms et prénoms qui sont nés trois jours.

A moins que l'on trouve des informations, nous supposerons que William J. Murphy # 18 est l'homme qui est né le 16 avril 1895 et décédé le 10 décembre 1959, depuis la date de naissance dans la tombe Nationwide Locator matches donné que sur le projet de carte d'enregistrement et la tombe Nationwide Locator nous dit qu'il était un ancien combattant de la Première Guerre mondiale. Le fait qu'il est enterré dans ce cimetière national des anciens combattants [carte], dans un Etat voisin ne signifie pas nécessairement qu'il a toujours vécu dans cet État.

Nous voulons aussi étudier pour voir si il n'y a plus d'informations sur un William Murphy, qui [[en fonction de la Social Security Death Index) est né le 19 avril 1895 et est décédé en novembre 1970. Je l'identifier comme William Murphy # 19 sur la page de résumé.

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for updating the summary page of the William Murphy[[s).
    I believe that we have to wait to have more information for this Murphy. Don’t you believe ?
    Thank you again for your help.

Cordially.

Mary

I believe that we have to wait to have more information for this Murphy. Don’t you believe ?
    I am still waiting for a reply to the second inquiry I sent about the military records of William Murphy # 1. All of my requests have all been sent to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO. I would like to see the results for # 1 before we submit a SF-180 for # 18.

Since we know that # 18 is buried in a Department of Veterans Affairs [[VA) military cemetery, it is possible that a 1959 document might have still been at the VA when the 1973 National Archives fire happened. Hopefully the 1959 document would contain his Army Division number. Submitting an SF-180 might tell us if they can find that and any other information about # 18. We must learn his Army Division number and then we could determine [[from other sources, if necessary) whether his Army Division was in France in late 1918.

Je suis toujours en attente d'une réponse Ã[ la deuxième enquête, j'ai envoyé sur les dossiers militaires de William Murphy # 1. Toutes mes demandes ont été envoyées Ã[ la National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO. Je voudrais voir les résultats de # 1 avant de nous soumettre un SF-180 pour le # 18.

Puisque nous savons que le # 18 est enterré dans un département des Affaires des anciens combattants [[VA) cimetière militaire, il est possible que le document de 1959 pourrait avoir toujours été Ã[ la VA de 1973 lorsque les Archives nationales d'incendie s'est produit. Il faut espérer que le document devrait contenir 1959 sa division de l'armée nombre. Soumettre un SF-180 pourrait-il nous dire si elles peuvent trouver et que d'autres informations sur le # 18. Nous devons tirer les leçons de son nombre et la division de l'armée, alors nous pourrions déterminer [[provenant d'autres sources, si nécessaire), si sa division de l'armée a été en France Ã[ la fin 1918.
    Last edited by Mikeg; May-08-09 at 08:30 AM.

Mike and Lferg,

Thank you for answers.
    I posted a answer to Raphl. I tried to explain that you have done. And I gave this address of this forum.
    Cordially.

Mary