Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Detroit City High / McGraw Middle / Longfellow School - 1963-2007

A school with many identities: at various times the small school on the west side has gone by the names McGraw, Longfellow, and lastly, Detroit City Alternative High. Notable for being one of the few schools abandoned due to increasing enrollment. From 1997 to 2006, the student population jumped from 177 to 451. Its cornerstone program was a comprehensive 11-month high school and GED program.

Last time I drove by, it was being cleaned out.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    Detroit City High / McGraw Middle / Longfellow School - 1963-2007

A school with many identities: at various times the small school on the west side has gone by the names McGraw, Longfellow, and lastly, Detroit City Alternative High. Notable for being one of the few schools abandoned due to increasing enrollment. From 1997 to 2006, the student population jumped from 177 to 451. Its cornerstone program was a comprehensive 11-month high school and GED program.

Last time I drove by, it was being cleaned out.
    detroiturbex,
    Where exactly is this school located? Would this be the converted 6th Precinct Police Station? If this school is across from Munger, on Martin and McGraw, then this would be the old 6th Precinct Police Station.

That leads to my next question. Are Munger and Chadsey [[my old school) slated for demolition? I would love to get inside and photograph the school??? Any sugestions.

By the way, I am very impressed with your photos and your ability to photograph the inside of the schools. GREAT JOB! Thanks for sharing.
    Johnnie Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Sue Bridges View Post
    detroiturbex,
    Where exactly is this school located? Would this be the converted 6th Precinct Police Station? If this school is across from Munger, on Martin and McGraw, then this would be the old 6th Precinct Police Station.

That leads to my next question. Are Munger and Chadsey [[my old school) slated for demolition? I would love to get inside and photograph the school??? Any sugestions.

By the way, I am very impressed with your photos and your ability to photograph the inside of the schools. GREAT JOB! Thanks for sharing.
    Johnnie Sue
    The old 6th Precinct building on McGraw was not converted to classroom/school.

The 1st list of schools to be demolished did have Chadsey/Munger.Quite strange to classify the building as a public nuisance, etc- it's only been closed a year.

Who are they fooling, anyways? A great deal of the 'dangerous structures' are buildings built in 50's 60's. Guaranteed to have asbestos, a bonus for the contractors/ asbestos removal programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Sue Bridges View Post
    detroiturbex,

Johnnie Sue
    Thanks, JS. Detroit City was located on McGraw and Moores streets, just west of the 96/94 interchange. Last time I drove past it the dumpsters were out front and it looked like it was coming down.

The 6th precinct station is still standing, but boarded up.

The latest DPS Facilites Master Plan has this:

Phase I
    •A new $18.4 million Munger PK-8 school will be built on or near the Wilson Playground.
    •The district will demolish the Chadsey/Munger site and preserve it for future use.

Chadsey / Munger are well-secured. I don't break into locations, and hope these two don't open up.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    Thanks, JS. Detroit City was located on McGraw and Moores streets, just west of the 96/94 interchange. Last time I drove past it the dumpsters were out front and it looked like it was coming down.

The 6th precinct station is still standing, but boarded up.

The latest DPS Facilites Master Plan has this:

Phase I
    •A new $18.4 million Munger PK-8 school will be built on or near the Wilson Playground.
    •The district will demolish the Chadsey/Munger site and preserve it for future use.

Chadsey / Munger are well-secured. I don't break into locations, and hope these two don't open up.
    Thanks detroiturbex,
    Please keep us posted if you see the plans to demolish the Chadsey/Munger site happening.

If anyone does hear about the fate of Clark School, please post the information. I went to Clark for kindergarten, as did my brothers and sisters. We all then attended St. Clare and Bishop Gallagher.

I remember Miss Altmiks [[no idea how it is spelled), Mrs. Bone, and Miss Jaminet as the three Kindergarten teachers.

I have fond memories of the playground behind the school, playing lobpitch baseball with my younger brothers and their friends, and hitting one over the fence!!!

takascar: We lived on Three Mile Dr.between Waveney and Bremen. I'm sure that we knew some of the same families in the area, although I'm about 5 years older than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    If anyone does hear about the fate of Clark School, please post the information. I went to Clark for kindergarten, as did my brothers and sisters. We all then attended St. Clare and Bishop Gallagher.

I remember Miss Altmiks [[no idea how it is spelled), Mrs. Bone, and Miss Jaminet as the three Kindergarten teachers.

I have fond memories of the playground behind the school, playing lobpitch baseball with my younger brothers and their friends, and hitting one over the fence!!!

takascar: We lived on Three Mile Dr.between Waveney and Bremen. I'm sure that we knew some of the same families in the area, although I'm about 5 years older than you.
    I remember Mrs Bone. The folks I remember on Three Mile Drive were Jay Plante, Keith Miller and the Zinser family, oh and Joey King at Three Mile and Cornwall

Takascar: King sounds familiar; were they near Munich? What about any of these families who lived on Three Mile Drive in the three blocks between Warren and Waveney: Chappelle, Carroll, Cilluffo, Dyer, Bashara, Donnelly, Dougherty, or Dillard?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Clark was "reconfigured" in 2009. From the 2010 master facility plan:
    •Hanstein and Clark will close.
    •A new PK-8 school will be created on the Clark site with a new addition for grades 6-8.

With all these Demo's. Some of these could've waited or been reused.

How come Wilbur Wright isn't on the list? Or did I miss reading about that one?
    [[last time I was there, there was a For Lease sign on one side very high up)

Excellent photo's!