Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
Back in the "go-go"90s,this seemed like a good idea.Condos,retail and office space,just what we don't need.I pass these strange empty parking structures at least twice a day,and I can't figure out why they were designed like this in the first place.They are huge,as in this place is going to be downtown Detroit in the 1950s/60s busy huge.I think it was all a scam from jump.....
Scam, likely

Bloomfield Twp denied the plans, did not allow 'skyscrapers' in their master plan.
So the developers 'plant' residents in the affected area and set up an annex vote with City of Pontiac. Naturally, Pontiac residents will OK the annex, more tax revenue. And the 'affected' residents, well they were tenants of the developer.

This being successful, a new scheme was hatched in Northville Twp. The state hospital property. Northville Twp denied heavy development plans. So property owners set up a few mobile homes as 'temporary' live-in security officer housing. Those new 'residents' registered to vote with the new addresses and instantly became 'affected' residents. City of Livonia officials OK'd an annexation vote. Voters in Livonia saw it for what it was, an attempt to bypass a neighboring town's planning, and voted against the annexation.