Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
I am waiting for RAY 36 to give his input.

There are many stories of officers "Hitting the hole".
Hey, I won't deny it. Midnight shift around 5 a.m. [[Back in the days when you didn't have runs backed up all night). Working Scout 2-1, down around Trumbull and Fort. Slip over to 12th street and head south, park on the railroad property. Summertime, and a handful of fishermen line the rail. Walk over and bullshit with some of them for a while, ooh and aah over their catches. Back in the car and close the eyes for about an hour. Back on the road at 6 to catch a rush hour traffic violation to make the bosses happy, and off duty at 8 am.

On occasion, you and your partner might be completely wiped out, and you hit the hole at 4. Beats the hell out of falling asleep at the wheel and wrecking the car. Midnights can be a bitch when you have a hard time sleeping during the day.

It's funny, too....you could be sawing zzz's pretty good, but above the chatter of the police radio when dispatch said "2-1", you jumped right up.

Days and afternoons....no problem keeping the eyes open. Just in the wee hours of the graveyard shift.

I miss those guys fishing off the foot of 12th street. They were lots of fun to chat with. Hope they all got their limit.