Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No. Would you say the same thing about black history or history of any other minority group?
    With most other minority groups historical members can be identified on sight so there's no debate about whether they belong or not. That's not true with sexual orientation since it was illegal in most places and people could not live openly, many of them leading double lives with arranged marriages, keeping up appearances, etc.
    Last edited by lilpup; April-20-10 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    With most other minority groups historical members can be identified on sight so there's no debate about whether they belong or not. That's not true with sexual orientation since it was illegal in most places and people could not live openly, many of them leading double lives with arranged marriages, keeping up appearances, etc.
    Yes, but why does that make learning about gay history "wrong"? Repression of gay people by society is also part of the history and in spite of that some people were still out of the closet.
    Last edited by Pam; April-20-10 at 11:19 AM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yes, but why does that make learning about gay history "wrong"? Respression of gay people by society is also part of the history and in spite of that some people were still out of the closet.
    I didn't ask about learning gay history but about establishing gay history. Abe Lincoln? Eleanor Roosevelt? Others not typically viewed as gay but argued to be?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I didn't ask about learning gay history but about establishing gay history. Abe Lincoln? Eleanor Roosevelt? Others not typically viewed as gay but argued to be?
    I don't care if people want to speculate. I don't think that is "establishing" anything, unless letters or journals or something else came to light that is fueling the speculation.

On a more personal level, I suppose it would be nice if everyone wore a button or ribbon or something... it would help avoid those occasional awkward moments when two people's eyes lock from across the room at a cocktail party... and one goes in for a move... and the gaydar's not working...

...but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.