The prototype for Orchestra Hall was actually the Macomb Theatre, [[now the Emerald) save the main balcony. Kellogg said that it was the chosen as the DSO management wanted the horseshoe dress circle and box seats arrangement that they had already used for the Macomb. They adapted to 26 private boxes, the carriage entrance, and restrooms and smoking room on that level. As they were constricted by the site of Westminster Church [[attended by Horace Dodge--thus it was easy to purchase) they had no space for a decent lobby. The basement of OH at the Woodward end is actually the foundations of the old church.

As for Ford Aud organ, I knew there was a miking arrangement at one point during the Dorati years, as they could not move the stage division due to the final shell arrangement. I never heard any major tonal alterations were made. Actually, when Dorati attempted staged operas at one point the singers on stage had to be miked...the orchestra playing from the pit sounded amazing. After Mrs. Edsel Ford paid for the last redo of the auditorium and it failed, Dorati said it should be blown up one night---as it would be the only way they would ever escape. Of course Orchestra Hall was considered hopeless by the patron base and management. After the doner base shifted, suddenly Orchestra Hall became the only viable alternative. The DSO did try out the Michigan Theatre on Bagley in the late 1960's with no audience, just management and musicians and acoustical tech's and found it adaptable and considered doing a deal akin to Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh...flatten the dome, etc. but once the Grosse Pointe base and the Fords found out they were somewhat serious the crap hit the fan and that was that. the UA was used to record but was never considered as a room to move to.

Crane's office on Park Ave lasted until the mid 20's, so the Michigan Bldg makes sense. If you go to the Main Library Detroit or UM in AA, look through copies of Architectural Forum for 1925. There is a feature on the firm and it includes photographs of the Park Ave. office location. I believe it is indexed in the Periodical Index from that period, although the index volumes are probably reference material also and have to be requested.

Bob