I usually disagree with LBP 99% of the time, but I agree with him on this issue. Michigan's ban will not allow smoking on outdoor patios, or in hotel room. Since a hotel room is a rented dwelling, and I spend about 10 nights monthly in hotels for my job, they are telling me I cannot smoke in my home. If this goes through, I'll skip on the hotel and just drive the extra few hours back to Toledo where smoking is permitted in my home office. I am not aware of any other states that have taken it to this extreme. How about a separate well-ventilated room in establishments that allow smoking, or an exemption for family-owned businesses and private clubs?

If this were in the best interest of businesses, they would've enacted it on their own. I don't go to gay bars, country bars, or dance clubs, but they don't bother me at all. Let the market decide.

P.S. I'm typing this in a small sports bar in Grand Rapids while I enjoy a smoke. The bartender, the cook, as well as 8 out of 13 patron are currently enjoying a smoke with me.