I have been wondering how long it was before this house of cards would collapse. My hackles were first raised with the Cobo art deal. After viewing the collection placed there, and knowing a thing or two about the artists and their prices, I remember thinking that the mark up had to be incredible. As I recall, it was a no-bid contract. But then Sherry Washington was highly regarded in the Detroit Art community for promoting several up-and-coming and prominent local artists and had long committed presence in downtown Detroit. So it was reasonable to assume that she had paid her dues and was getting her desserts.

Then came the same rumblings about the Cass Tech collection. Since I haven't seen it other than printed reproductions, I will reserve my personal judgment. From what I hear, again anecdotal, it may not be possible to see and what is there is nowhere close to the price tag. Why did she get such a big contract and again no-bid became the again begged question.

Art can provide a good cover since its value is always subject to debate and the morass of commissions, hanging and lighting, negotiating fees can further muddy the costs. Nonetheless, if the collections went to auction, I would be very surprised if they would fetch 10% of the their cost. But then maybe one of those artists might become renowned and one piece could recoup the entire bill. That's why art can provide such a good argument and why I don't think she will ever take a fall on those, if indeed there was any wrong-doing.

Now it surprises me to learn of these other non-art enterprises that she engaged in. She is innocent until proven guilty, but it does not look good. At the least she should have stuck to the vagaries of art where she was doing very well.

Now, suddenly, the fact that her gallery has long been next to Rep. Cheeks-Kilpatrick's office in the King Building make me go hmmm...