I am glad to see that anyone is interested in anything about Highland Park as I grew up there.
I find it hard to understand why a definitive history of the town has not been published?? If you go to any bookstore, you will see shelves of small paperback books about every suburb of Detroit and the surrounding areas, but there is no book about Highland Park?? It seems very ironic, as Highland Park was so important to the growth and development of Detroit and the auto industry, that you would think there would be all kinds of history and details about it. Two of the largest corporations in the world had their headquarters in Highland Park,Ford and Chrysler . the DSR and DUR had their barns in the city,the first expressway in the world was built in Highland Park, At one time it was one of the best cities in the United States , when it came to schools, city services,government, and homes to live in..
I guess wherever all the info, and files from the city newspaper, the "Highland Parker" got put away or destroyed, the history of the city and its achievements went with it.??
Sort of a shame to lose this history.
My father had a lot of stories about the city having settled there around 1912. Henry Ford and James Couzens would sometimes come in to his restaurant in the early mornings and have some tea and or some breakfast. Sometimes Walter Chrysler would also come in to get something to eat. A few times they all came in at the same time and sat together and talked. I wish I had some pictures of these occasions. I remember my Dad telling me about the Tyler farm that was on the West side of Woodward between Glendale and Davison. This is where the street Tyler, got named for when the farm was turned into homes.. The little turnaround half circle street off of Glendale, called Mulford Pl. ,was the entrance to the farm.
Also recalled was that the area North of 6 Mile around Palmer Park, was pretty much impassable during the spring due to the swampy nature of the area. Sometimes you had to go West as far as Livernois to go North of 6 mile and then cut back down to Woodward when you got to Pleasant ridge. I wish I could recall more of it and had asked more question in my youth.