I think what drives me the most bonkers is that you somehow think the federal government is entering new ventures with this health care bill. The federal government has been spending our tax dollars for years on health insurance [[Medicare, Medicaid) and as a direct provider [[VA, active military). Yet somehow, we're supposed to believe that an effort to reduce health insurance premiums and enact regulations on the health insurance industry is "a giveaway"?

The federal government also used to have this thing called Direct Loans, otherwise known as the Ford program, that administers Stafford Loans and Perkins Loans. Why should the government pay Citibank, for example, to disburse and collect these federal monies when the federal government already has a mechanism in place to do so? To me, this is just responsibile stewardship of our dollars. Or, if you prefer me to put it in your terms, Oladub, the Constitution does not explicitly permit the federal government to ensure easy profits for private sector financial firms.