Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Belle Isle

Hybrid View

Can some explain why they don't charge a fee to get on the island. Id like to see a $2 per car charge, that way its accessible to all.

Gotta love all of the use of nasty code words here: "dregs," "thugs," "savages," and even "lower forms of life."

The fact is that Belle Isle is a very pleasant place to get away from the city for most of the week. And if you go there you will mostly see a lot of people enjoying themselves in various ways. Driving, walking, running, biking, swimming, fishing, using the athletic facilities, sitting out in the sun, cooking out, or just chilling and enjoying the scene. If you take a walk and talk to some folks you will find that almost everyone is friendly and cool [[if you're not afraid of the "savages," that is).

On weekend evenings the place does get crowded with young people, most of whom are just having fun, hanging out with their friends, and making new ones, in the way that young people do. It is probably not a scene for us oldsters. Although I've been out there on weekend nights, and while I was bothered a bit by the loud music [[fogey that I am) and by the slow moving traffic, I certainly didn't feel endangered. The police do close down the island after awhile on summer nights, which is probably a good thing, but can cause a hell of a traffic jam on Jefferson. Anyone who thinks the city is dead should come out here on one of those nights.

At all times the island is one of the safest places in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Can some explain why they don't charge a fee to get on the island.
    Ummm, maybe because it's a public park, already paid for by we taxpayers of the City of Detroit?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-05-10 at 12:43 PM.