Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Hey! How about this one? I think I have a copy of it somewhere....

Cadillac, Antoine de la Mothe. The western country in the 17th century; the memoirs of Lamothe Cadillac and Pierre Liette. 1947.

Cool! I'll be looking for this and other stuff at my town library. Its fun to sort through these pieces but it could be a little easier on my eyes...

I found this letter from Caddy to the count of Toulouse asking humbly to be given the title of count or marquess in view of his services rendered to the king for 40 years. He asks for a pension for himself of a thousand pounds and same for his family, and some unspecified benefit to his son Joseph, ecclesiast, 21 years, born and residing at Detroit.

He says in a roudabout way that he has spent a lot of his own money in building the colony, that soldiers and company agents dined on produce from his lands, demolished parts of good houses and a church made of good sound oak in order to fortify buildings he had initially built.

The letter is undated, it is probably from the late 1720's since he died in 1730 and had served since 1675 but that is not confirmed in part beacause he escaped France and forged a new identity in New France. page 2 of 3 pages