Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So it's OK to call someone an "uppity Negro" if you're using sarcasm? I don't think so, mister. I'm thunderstruck that someone would even think that way in this day and age. I guess Johnlodge is right though, Michigan the state and Michigan the forumer still hold onto some antiquated notions about race.

Michigan, it's surprising to see you here. The apology wasn't prompted by our exchange. When you posted, that thread was sinking down the page and was dying. I'm ready to drop it, myself, and just don't harbor any hard feelings toward you. We don't know each other beyond what we're typing on the Internet.

As I get involved in Detroit civic life again, there's a very good chance that I'll be running into some of you here. The karma would be all funky and wrong if I didn't try to clear the air. And I need to check the ill will I'm generating on this forum.

Ravine Guest

Yes, yes, yes, all of us are 100% correct about everything. It's amazing, but goddamit, there it is.

The important thing, at this point & in my opinion [[which opinion, of course, is slightly more correct than the rest of youse's,) is that English stick to her guns [[or her little canister of Mace, whichever) and resist any urge to re-engage this thread, the other thread, or the topic itself.

Run, English, run!! Nothing left to see, here!!

Ravine Guest

Goddamit. While I was writing a post advising you to not do it, you did it.
    I give; I'm outta here.

Hey, I didn't see your post. Calm down! I agree with you... you're right.

As part of turning over a new leaf, I'll exercise some discipline and will take a DYes break. Two weeks' exile should be enough. I'm procrastinating like crazy and using this to avoid my inbox. Fun as this has been, I need to get some work done.

Smooches to all... peace out.
    Last edited by English; March-25-10 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Responding to Ravine's post, which I didn't see.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Should these last two posts be crossposted to the "Missed Sarcasm" thread?
    Honestly, I'm tired of people stating that their sarcasm was missed when what they really mean is that people challenged their codespeak. I've half a mind to rebute your comments.

EastSider Guest

Good thing you've only got half a mind.

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Honestly, I'm tired of people stating that their sarcasm was missed when what they really mean is that people challenged their codespeak. I've half a mind to rebute your comments.
    And this gets cross posted directly to Huh? Are you the Nain Rouge? Since when do you speak French? All these references to languages- English, French- make my brain hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I don't think she's uppity or a bitch. A little arrogant, sometimes, but that come with the territory when you go to a great school like U-M and get your PhD in English. Not even arrogant as much as self-absorbed perhaps, but that's not uncommon amongst academics who are big thinkers. You know, the absent-minded professor type.
    I agree with your assessment of what is perceived. Then again, its a forum, so maybe there is some important missing voice inflection and it is not the case.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    And this gets cross posted directly to Huh? Are you the Nain Rouge? Since when do you speak French? All these references to languages- English, French- make my brain hurt.
    Of course I'm the Nain Rouge. Geez, Michigan, follow along.

I made a post on your thread and read through the 2 pages and saw people saying you were making the story up and people that were obviously not having a good day, and I did notice some flame wars. However, an apology is un-necessary, because nothing's really your fault, nor is it anyone else's. So what's the real problem?

DetroitDad Guest

Actually, you really inspired me to take notice and a stand against crime English.

My wife really likes your posts, even though I don't always agree with everything you say.

LL Cool D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ... I had no idea that I was coming across as arrogant, a b*tch, or an "uppity Negro," ...
    Uhhh ..., hello?

English, don't apologize for seeking help or moral support. Lots of people on this forum have sage advice. Ignore the nay sayers.

PS: The sky isn't falling!

DetroitDad Guest

So English, are you back in The D yet?

English, I think you've contributed a lot of positive discussion items to this board over the years. Just my two cents. No apologies necessary, ever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2