The general theme of a lot of the posts on this topic seems to me to boil down to "if we can't do what I think would be a perfect transit line, let's not do anything at all". People who work based on that thesis never accomplish anything.

M1 Rail is not perfect. M1 Rail + DTOGS is better than M1 Rail but still not perfect. M1 Rail + DTOGS + extend it to Royal Oak or Birmingham is even better but still not perfect.

What each system is, is an improvement over what we have, and moves us incrementally closer to a real transit system.

Now to address a couple of points. Why can't it be built all at once? Because nobody has the money. Why did DTOGS stop south of Eight Mile? Because DDOT doesn't serve Ferndale or Royal Oak, and Oakland County's government has not shown the least bit of interest in improved transit. Why does M1 Rail have so many stops? Because that is what the people who are paying for it want. If you think there should be five stops instead of twelve - and I disagree with you in that case - toss in twenty or thirty million dollars, get a seat on the board, and make your proposal.