Quote Originally Posted by schulzte View Post
There is no reason a new arena in Detroit would cost $500 million. A sports arena can cost as much as an owner wants, but it doesn't have to be Jerry Jones ridiculous. The Ford Center in Oklahoma City is a 19,500 seat arena that was completed for $89 million just 7 years ago, they now host the Oklahoma City Thunder [[Yes, that is an NBA team). The highly regarded NHL arena in St. Paul, Minnesota cost $130 million and opened 10 years ago. So I think the Red Wings could get into a fine new building for $200-250 million. That's still a lot of money, but naming rights could get the first 25% of that.

http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com
I agree with you. The only reason why an arena would cost 500 million dollars is because the owners want it to cost that much. I understand that Wilson and the Ilitches don't want another JLA [[arena built on the cheap) but to ask for 500 million is insane in a repress market like Detroit. Detroit don't need a "IlitchWorld" like "JerryWorld" in Arlington. I will say this; if Wilson asking for 500 mil, he must be expecting the Pistons to relocate to downtown.