Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The And Still They Prospered: Living through the Great Depression exhibit at the Lorenzo Cultural Center is totally geared towards Detroit in the 1930s. Lots of great Detroit artifacts on display as well as Detroit-specific information displays.

We attended the opening presentation by Jack Lessenberry today and spent some time in the exhibit area, but there is so much to see and you get caught up talking to other visitors that we will have to go back again to take it all in.

The exhibit runs through May 8. And there is no charge.

Details and events schedule at: http://www.lorenzoculturalcenter.com/schedule/index.asp

This exhibit is worth the drive out to M-59 and Garfield Rd. And if you can attend one of the presentations, that will enhance your visit even more.

We're heading back on Sunday, March 7 to hear the presentation on Detroit's Depression Mayor: Frank Murphy.

Just a reminder....please be sure to say hi to the speaker [[me) if you attend Wednesday's talk Gone With The Wind: A Depression Phenomenon.

Here are some of the Detroit-related talks coming up!!

The Works Progress Administration in Detroit, Friday, April 16, 11am.
    Presented by Elizabeth Clemens, audiovisual archivist at the Walter P. Reuther Archives, WayneStateUniversity.

Compassion in a Crisis: The Fords and Philanthropy in the 1930s, Saturday, April 17, 1pm.
    Presented by David Janssen, vice president for internal operations at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate.

HenryFordTrade School, Wednesday, April 21, 3pm.
    Presented by Bob Kreipke, corporate historian for Ford Motor Company.

How Nash Motors and the Hudson Motor Car Company Survived the Great Depression, Friday, April 23, 11am.
    Presented by Charles K. Hyde, professor of history at WayneStateUniversity.

The Essential Henry Ford, Saturday, April 24, 1pm.
    Presented by Steven Watts, professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia and author of The People’s Tycoon.

Detroit’s Belle Isle: Island Park Gem, Sunday, April 25, 2pm.
    Presented by author Michael Rodriguez, humanities librarian at MichiganStateUniversity, and Tom Featherstone, audiovisual archivist at the Walter P. Reuther Archives at WayneStateUniversity.

Packard Motor Car Company, Wednesday, April 28, 11am.
    Presented by John MacArthur, president of the Packard Motor Car Foundation.

Full Schedule:
    http://www.lorenzoculturalcenter.com/schedule/Spring2010_PrintableSchedule.pdf

FYI...To accompany my Gone With The Wind talks [[at 11 and 1 on Wednesday, April 14), I will have a display of GWTW memorabilia set up in the lecture hall, so please be sure to allow time to peruse my display in addition to the main exhibit.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    FYI...To accompany my Gone With The Wind talks [[at 11 and 1 on Wednesday, April 14), I will have a display of GWTW memorabilia set up in the lecture hall, so please be sure to allow time to peruse my display in addition to the main exhibit.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow!!
    I am signed up for the 1pm talk !! Cant wait to meet you then

Wintersmommy: Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.

Any other DYes'rs, please do stop and introduce yourself!!