Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I sympathize with this woman- if she truly believed Riddle to be innocent based upon the facts she heard, then she needs to vote her conscious. She shouldn't be coerced to fall in line with the others even if it is eleven against one. That being said- did she skew the taint the facts in her head with the race card?

Judging from the words she has said according to the Freep- she most definitely did. What she failed to grasp is that her stand wasn't pro-African American at all. It was the opposite; what she did wasn't for civil justice- it not only shamed her race with her ignorance but it also did nothing to help rid Detroit of a criminal.

Sam Riddle walked today but it won't be for long.
    Welcome......

This woman Angela Woods voted to acquit for one reason: because Riddle was Black like her. Let's clear the air on that one. She disregarded the evidence against Grady because she saw all these White folk ready to "hang the Black man." Her ignorance shames us all and the residents of Auburn Hills should be ashamed to have her as a neighbor. Don't think for a second Detroiters are celebrating a mistrial. We know Riddle is guilty and if he goes to jail then so be it.

Buy American Guest

I'd hate to be on a flight where she is an attendant...you KNOW who would have first priority getting out of a plane if there were an emergency! The airline should take a look at her attitude problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Downtown Ladys claim that Temperance, Croswell & Jackson are part of "Metro Detroit" probably wouldn't be shared by folks who live in those places.
    ???

I'm not sure what you're referring to...I didn't say anything about that topic. Are you referring to when dtowncitylover said some things in Metro Detroit never change?

Quote Originally Posted by Brittz View Post
    You are still lucky.
    Brittz, is that a threat?

I'm trying to decide what I enjoy most about your posts...

your wacky euphemisms for felonious behavior
    Riddle's upcoming trial for pulling a gun on Mary Waters is his "bad boyfriend case"

your thinly-veiled threats
    "aren't you glad/lucky [the gun] wasn't pointed in your face"

your witty comebacks
    "go take a hike!"

your kooky generalizations
    "Suburbanites hate coming into the city so they will convict quickly as they want to return to their neighborhoods"

your justification for deciding a court case based on race
    "If this was a middle east man they would have done the same thing"

or your general cluelessness
    "HOORAY to this juror!"

What do I enjoy most? So many choices. Ah, good times.

Dear, I think maybe you should quit before you further embarrass yourself. I'm just looking out for you, sweetie.
    Last edited by Downtown Lady; February-17-10 at 11:43 PM.

I think that this woman simply decided that Sam Riddle was not being judged by his peers and simply could not in good conscience find Riddle guilty, despite the evidence. For her to literally separate herself from the rest of the jurors during deliberations, shows that she was not going to vote their way. It is unfortunate that signs of her rebellious nature was not evident before the jury went into deliberations. One of the alternates could have replaced her. Good thing a hung jury usually means that there will be another trial.

I think Brittz is just trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Brittz, is that a threat?

I'm trying to decide what I enjoy most about your posts...

your wacky euphemisms for felonious behavior
    Riddle's upcoming trial for pulling a gun on Mary Waters is his "bad boyfriend case"

your thinly-veiled threats
    "aren't you glad/lucky [the gun] wasn't pointed in your face"

your witty comebacks
    "go take a hike!"

your kooky generalizations
    "Suburbanites hate coming into the city so they will convict quickly as they want to return to their neighborhoods"

your justification for deciding a court case based on race
    "If this was a middle east man they would have done the same thing"

or your general cluelessness
    "HOORAY to this juror!"

What do I enjoy most? So many choices. Ah, good times.

Dear, I think maybe you should quit before you further embarrass yourself. I'm just looking out for you, sweetie.

Racism is wrong, plain and simple. It's wrong when a white person judges a black person for the color of a skin, but it's no less wrong when a black person does the same to a white person. If the reports are correct, that Mrs. Woods made her decision and made comments towards the other jury members solely based on the color of people's skins [[both the jurors and Mr. Riddle's), then she is a racist, plain and simple, and she is wrong.

bartock Guest

Whether from Clio or Monroe or Auburn Hills or Detroit, I see a person who ignored what she swore to do [[and must have lied during voir dire) and hung this jury. IMO, another black person on the jury would not have made a difference in her decision, but it may have tempered the firestorm that has resulted [[no so much a firestorm on this board, which is nice).

So, Riddle will get tried again if he doesn't plea and that's really all there is. If the gov't is looking for him to do 5 years like has been "reported" I don't blame him for rolling the dice. He'll get new attorneys that will capitalize on this hung jury thing and probably try to work out a deal for him to do a year. Sam was not acquitted, is still on the hotseat and if nothing is worked out will go to trial again. It happens sometimes, and is not the end of the world. It may be a flawed system, but in this case the safeguard worked.

Ravine Guest

Bartock, you lost me at the end, there.
    What do you mean by this statement?:

"...but in this case the safeguard worked."

Seriously. I was following your post just fine, until then. "Safeguard?"
    I'm missing something.

Now they are going to have to find 12 jurors who don't follow the news...

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Bartock, you lost me at the end, there.
    What do you mean by this statement?:

"...but in this case the safeguard worked."

Seriously. I was following your post just fine, until then. "Safeguard?"
    I'm missing something.
    Safeguard against a double-jeopardy defense. Hung jury gives the government the option of trying him again without having to run into a constitutional argument.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Racism is wrong, plain and simple. It's wrong when a white person judges a black person for the color of a skin, but it's no less wrong when a black person does the same to a white person. If the reports are correct, that Mrs. Woods made her decision and made comments towards the other jury members solely based on the color of people's skins [[both the jurors and Mr. Riddle's), then she is a racist, plain and simple, and she is wrong.
    I agree. Ms Woods, a African American female have made an unethical and illogical decision during the jury deliberations. Wood's actions from her'doublethoughts' is that she didn't look at Riddle's evidence and sort the contexts from a lie to the truth. Let us hope that she doesn't recieve any hate threats from any other people. She was the one that playing race cards and thought: 'Riddle is a old innocent man that needed a break.' Therefore Ms. Woods made a call whether is a good call or a bad call.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Reverse Racism is a weapon for African Americans against a 'invicible segregation' in America.

In Memoriam, Neda Soltani: A Muslim woman for political and Islamic social reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I agree. Ms Woods, a African American female have made an unethical and illogical decision during the jury deliberations. Wood's actions from her'doublethoughts' is that she didn't look at Riddle's evidence and sort the contexts from a lie to the truth. Let us hope that she doesn't recieve any hate threats from any other people. She was the one that playing race cards and thought: 'Riddle is a old innocent man that needed a break.' Therefore Ms. Woods made a call whether is a good call or a bad call.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Reverse Racism is a weapon for African Americans against a 'invicible segregation' in America.

In Memoriam, Neda Soltani: A Muslim woman for political and Islamic social reform.
    Danny = BlkSoulX ?!?!?!

Danny's just fine, he truly means well.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Brittz View Post
    HOORAY to this juror!
    Betcha this guys got a "DON'T SNITCH" T-Shirt.....

From wikipedia, there is this quote from then Mayor Kilpatrick after losing the whistleblower lawsuit.

The trial ended on September 11, 2007, after three hours of jury deliberation, in a verdict awarding the plaintiffs $6.5 million in damages. In an angry speech in front of City Hall made minutes after the verdict was read, Kilpatrick blamed the "wrong verdict" on white suburbanite jurors. Kilpatrick also stated "There's race in this, and we run from it in this region. And I think it's impossible for us to move forward as a region without confronting it head-on. But I don't want what has happened in the past 24 months to be erased by what has happened in the last two days."[34][35]

As I recall, there was a lone black woman who voted with her fellow jurors in finding against Mayor Kilpatrick, lest we forget that this also happened and not generalize about the Riddler non-verdict.

From the Detroit Free Press 9/11/2007:
    Unanimous jury, shocked mayor
    Still, a stunned but defiant Kilpatrick stood in front of the Spirit of Detroit Tuesday afternoon and suggested that the city is with him.

“I’m absolutely blown away by this decision and I’m sure Detroiters are, too,” he said. “I think my reputation rests with the city of Detroit. Being that there was only one” juror from Detroit — and the only black on the jury — “I guess I will have to talk to her.”
    Last edited by eno; February-18-10 at 04:54 PM.

The holdout juror was not a Detroit resident.

Your original point was, I thought:

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    Hence my original point 'genius'.....

If there are enough DEE-troit residents on the jury, he will walk.

Welllll, looky looky what I said wayyyyyy back on Feb 5th.
    Looky, looky there were no Detroit jurors and he still walked. Ok well....

OK, let me refine my statement further, dropping geographical references, so that even you can get my point.

Black defendant + Black juror + Black City = Overwhelming likelihood that Defendant walks.

And the same thing will reoccur if he is tried again and if there are blacks on the jury.

Sucks to be you then...hopefully the Riddler don't rob you blind.

C'mon, you don't want to post the word Black. Post the word you really want to use. You know the word that starts with an N. Since Blacks can't do anything better than let criminals free then they must be.....c'mon say it so you can feel good about yourself.

I have a weird feeling that Riddle had contact with this lady. Not only is he that slimy and crooked, but you have an African American woman who thinks that the white jurors [[and lets not forget about the Indian professor) wanted to "hang" Riddle...but she lives in lily-white Auburn Hills!?!?!

It smells funny to me, and I hope someone looks into it.

Route29 Guest

A black person covers for another black person because they're black. What the fuck else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    A black person covers for another black person because they're black. What the fuck else is new?
    I think this belongs in the Free Press comments. Sound like you have some Black issues.

Its apparently news to R8RBOB
    What happened to you? Leroy took your lunch money everyday and the principal wouldn't stop him because he was Black too. Darn, those Black folks really treated you back Johnny. Maybe you should recruit some white sheets and some skinheads and do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    From wikipedia, there is this quote from then Mayor Kilpatrick after losing the whistleblower lawsuit.

The trial ended on September 11, 2007, after three hours of jury deliberation, in a verdict awarding the plaintiffs $6.5 million in damages. In an angry speech in front of City Hall made minutes after the verdict was read, Kilpatrick blamed the "wrong verdict" on white suburbanite jurors. Kilpatrick also stated "There's race in this, and we run from it in this region. And I think it's impossible for us to move forward as a region without confronting it head-on. But I don't want what has happened in the past 24 months to be erased by what has happened in the last two days."[34][35]

As I recall, there was a lone black woman who voted with her fellow jurors in finding against Mayor Kilpatrick, lest we forget that this also happened and not generalize about the Riddler non-verdict.

From the Detroit Free Press 9/11/2007:
    Unanimous jury, shocked mayor
    Still, a stunned but defiant Kilpatrick stood in front of the Spirit of Detroit Tuesday afternoon and suggested that the city is with him.

“I’m absolutely blown away by this decision and I’m sure Detroiters are, too,” he said. “I think my reputation rests with the city of Detroit. Being that there was only one” juror from Detroit — and the only black on the jury — “I guess I will have to talk to her.”
    Rideron, I guess you glossed over my post and the point I was making. The jury in the whistleblower case against Mayor Kilpatrick had a lone black female juror from Detroit on it and they unanimously reached a verdict against him in less than 3 hours. The lesson being that you can't make broad generalizations without coming across with a chip on your shoulder or sounding racist.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast