Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Hmmm, someone better check and see who owns that out of state firm and when it was launched. Just saying.

LodgeDodger Guest

I read about this in the FREEP last weekend. With the big push for local-owned businesses getting contracts, this was a surprise.

The Cipriani's deserved this contract. They're local and they've contributed a lot to this area. They should have been awarded the contract over some out-of-state company.

So, Bettermade is all concerned about the taxpayers---just not concerned enough to beat or match the price offered by the competitor i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    The Cipriani's deserved this contract. They're local and they've contributed a lot to this area. They should have been awarded the contract over some out-of-state company.
    are you assuming the bids were similar or equal, or are you arguing that they should have been given the contract even if their bid was significantly higher than the out-of-state company?

They'll always have my business so long as they keep the factory in Detroit.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    are you assuming the bids were similar or equal, or are you arguing that they should have been given the contract even if their bid was significantly higher than the out-of-state company?
    I'm assuming nothing. What I'm saying is something should have been worked out. They contribute a lot to various organizations in the county. They employ people from the area. They are business people and can recognize that local governments must try to save money. I say keep the money local.

bartock Guest

I'm assuming nothing. What I'm saying is something should have been worked out. They contribute a lot to various organizations in the county. They employ people from the area. They are business people and can recognize that local governments must try to save money. I say keep the money local.
    All prison jokes aside, I'm wondering how much difference in annual dollars switching one potato chip/snack company versus another; BetterMade is not expensive to begin with , given the added transport, etc. costs that would have to be built in to the price of this other company's product, how much is the county really saving?

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    All prison jokes aside, I'm wondering how much difference in annual dollars switching one potato chip/snack company versus another; BetterMade is not expensive to begin with , given the added transport, etc. costs that would have to be built in to the price of this other company's product, how much is the county really saving?
    If you're referring to what I said about inmates buying snacks, it's not a joke. Most county jails these days are big business. They sell snacks at a profit. They also sell soap, stamps, paper, envelopes, clothing, shoes and just about anything else you can imagine. Bob Barker is the largest wholesaler of goods to county jails and prisons in the world.
    I don't doubt the county would want to get the best price they can so they can turn a profit, but they don't give that stuff away.

They were out-bid. Perhaps they got greedy and assumed that since they were local they would get some sort of preferential treatment? I am certain that Wayne County would have wanted to give them the contract, but government is facing some tough times and has to be accountable. My biggest question is why are we feeding inmates potato chips/snack foods on my dime?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    My biggest question is why are we feeding inmates potato chips/snack foods on my dime?
    If it's like most jails, they don't get anything free. They buy snacks. At least that's what uh... some guy told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Hmmm, someone better check and see who owns that out of state firm and when it was launched. Just saying.
    Yeah, I wonder if it's an upstart company based in Texas??!! Kilpat-chips?
    It is a bummer, but it would be interesting to hear all the facts.

Ravine Guest

I love Better Made, but that's a whole lot of opining when the only fact revealed here is that they didn't get the contract.
    Who got it? By what percentage-difference did the other company's bid win out?
    Was Better Made supposed to get the contract just because they're from Detroit? Isn't that related to the kind of thinking that has gotten this city into some of the troubles it has been in?