My maternal grandfather lost everything in the depression and when he died in 1939, my grandmother moved in with us. Grandma R was wonderful to have around and lived with my parents from 1940 to 1971 when she died. She was a blessing to our family.

Unfortunately, Grandma R had two older spinster sisters who by the 1940s were "going round the bend" and it fell to my mother to try and take care of them. There was a little bit of "Michigan Old Age Pension" money for them because they didn't have Social Security. Their house [[my great grandfather's) over on Putnam was condemned for the Lodge and my mother was having to always find "rooms" or "mother-in-law" apartments for them in various houses. Great-aunt H. died in the mid-fifties and Great-aunt G. died in the mid-seventies, but I remember what a trial they always were for my mother. She would buy their groceries, clean their room/apt, and square them away and head for home and immediately they would get on the phone to my grandmother with a long rant on how my mother had treated them and disrespected them.