Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
Wow! That burning and burnt smell comes back just like that. I worked in that neighborhood four years later, and I swear, you could still smell it.

Those army vehicles I thought were tanks, are they? The ones with the big guns on top?
Can't say whether they're actual tanks or not, but I remember seeing them driving down Grand River. I was on the NW side, far from the riot area, but I distinctly remember seeing army vehicles driving through the neighborhood down Grand River. Some truckloads of National Guardsmen stopped at St Marys of Redford church to pray one day. I remember talking to some of them - I wasn't quite 7 years old, it was a big thrill for me to talk to someone in the army. I think that they had people over by the Grand River/Greenfield shooping center to make sure nothing happened there. I told someone one time that I remembered seeing tanks [[which, if they're not tanks, they certainly resemble them, especially to a kid) and they told me I was nuts, that they would never send tanks in for a city riot. Well they certainly sent those vehicles, whatever they're called. I still remember being in our backyard at night when the curfew was on, thinking I'd be arrested if I went out to the front of the house!