An old friend from Livonia who has made quite a name for himself out in NYC is in town for a few days...I'm trying to get together with him and his new woman before they leave...but he is the recording engineer extraordinaire...and protege of the amazing Bob Ludwig.

He's growing into the position to fill Bob's shoes when he retires, actually, which would place him in the top-tier of Mastering Engineers...so I'll be asking him for mic advice if I remember.

I've still not been able to test out his technique for kick drum capture...which he's become quite famous for...of all his clients I can only remember the B-52s [[after the younger brother unfortunately passed)...but when I compared recordings of drums since, I realized he is onto something.

It is SO good to know a golden-ear willing to share their knowledge...and he owes me one since I taught HIM about absolute polarity back in my Stereophile days. Ludwig noticed that all his tracks were correct the next time he walked in 24 to be mixed down...which cemented our friendship.

Good to have my passion back for this stuff...amazing what the past few years of depression did to all that.