I'm not so sure about the assessment that Boston Edison is falling into the mouth of the dilapidation monster. Some friends of mine have made home purchases there in the last year while others are still deciding which house to go with. I think the problem is that for every 3 houses that are bought there, 5 more end up back in the market through forclosure.

Taxes are the biggest problem posed to that neighborhood's stability. I'm told by an association member that decades ago, when the market wasn't expiriencing much growth, a higher tax rate was lobbied for in order to keep the "riff raff" out. It worked at the time, but as more people left for the burbs and the market grew, people were priced out of puchasing because of the taxes. Then speculative bankers and realestate carpetbaggers stepped in and some homes fell to the wayside. Now, the taxes are the main reason people choose other areas and are also the reason people are losing these homes in the first place. Who can afford 8000- 10000k a year for taxes with Detroit's present economy, and who would want to when you aren't getting the kind of services your paying for?

Let's hope more people like my friends, who are willing to pay high taxes as an investment into Detroit's future, also take advantage of the down market and take a chance on our city. I plan on keeping pressure on our Mayor to consider lowering taxes in targeted areas that have the greatest potential for growth and sustainability. I know it's a tough sell with us cutting services and everything, but something has to be done to preserve these neighborhoods. Even houses in NEZs are taxed into languishing on the market for months and years at a time, falling into severe disrepair or victim to the serial insurance job arsonist.