Residents have long complained that when they call Detroit Police, no one shows up or they're extremely late. So how would you respond if the police called you?
If you're Liz Blondy, owner of Canine to Five Dog Care on Cass Avenue, you might get "very emotional" and think you're "going to cry."
Here's what happened: Lt. Darin Szalagy from Central District called Blondy and left a message. She called back the next day and, after initial pleasantries, he said, "I just called to check in with you and see how things are going? How's the neighborhood doing?"
Blondy said police have never before rung her bell. Her first reaction was "are you kidding?" She then told the lieutenant, "things are going well."
The conversation lasted less than five minutes, but the impression was deep, Blondy said. "It went a long way with me," said Blondy, who shared the experience on Facebook. "It let me know I made a good decision to do business in the city."
The Insider spoke with Central District Commander Shereece Fleming-Freeman to get the 411 on the 911 making calls to businesses. The 23-year veteran said officers assigned to one of the five beats in the Central District are encouraged to make regular contact with the community. She said it is important for them to become familiar with the community and people they have sworn to protect.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/d...php?blogid=381