Part 2 of Karen Dybis' ride-along report was posted at Time's Assignment Detroit blog this morning.
This year, the demand for services in certain areas of The Salvation Army's work has gone up as much as 60 percent, Maj. John Turner tells me. The Bed and Bread program consistently sees increases. Part of this is due to a new routing system they have, which put the trucks in more high-need areas. Partly it is due to the area's dramatically high unemployment rate.

. . . Some who ask for meals are homeless . . . Most are unemployed. Others have a house and job – but they need a way to stretch their dollars. Getting a meal here allows them to have enough to cover utilities.
Here's something else the reporter, surely not insular, clueless or "a little bit dimwitted" writes:
I decided not to talk to anyone receiving meals on the record. I spoke to people through my [mobile kitchen] window, and that felt a lot more natural to me. I didn't want to be Reporter Girl. I wanted to be helpful. That's all.

. . . Perhaps getting their words [[and names) would have been more interesting to you, the reader. But I felt like my presence was too glaring. I was just too obvious and the situation was too serious.

. . . The Salvation Army could use a lot more of me. And a lot more of you. There is a Bed and Bread Club. Donate $10 a month and you could feed one child or adult through The Salvation Army for a year.