Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
And above all other considerations, consumers [[citizens) are turning to other businesses [[cities) when they are leaving Detroit for other cities.
Citizens are not strictly consumers. They don't necessarily pay for every service they receive. When they do pay, they mostly pay proportionate to their assets [[land, house, income). There are exceptions of course where there are fees that are the same for everyone in a particular category [[bus fare, for instance). Sometimes citizens pay for services that they don't receive, such as when they pay school taxes but send their kids to private school. I don't pay for anything I don't receive from a business and they cannot take my money to provide goods and services to someone else, unless I agree to make a donation.

Businesses are not going to charge based on income or assets, although they might run sales or specials designed to give a break to seniors or others.Cities cannot tell everyone to pay the same property tax regardless of the value of their property. Business can decide to relocate to where they will find more desirable customers. Cities must serve everyone within their geographic boundaries.And on, and on and on.

We are taking the analogy too far. Next, we're going to say consumers [[husbands) are turning to other businesses [[mistresses) when they leave their wives for other women