Grandiose plan were announced by owner Micheal Higgins in early 2018 for a $125 million top-to-bottom renovation of the building. The project has yet to start.
Instead we get this news from today's Free Press...

The last working elevator in the historic Leland Hotel in downtown Detroit was repaired late Tuesday after being out of service for more than a week.

The eight-day outage forced the remaining 50 residents in the 22-story building to trudge up and down multiple flights of stairs to access their apartments.

It is home to about 50 long-term residents on month-to-month leases who pay about $800 in rent, following a $50 increase several months ago.
https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...beef47_13486e7

Amazing who these owners get away with this. As the article cites those who were interviewed declined to identify themselves for fear of retribution. What a sad story.

Name:  leland.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  91.6 KB

"...everybody has been walking up and down these stairs,” she said. “I've seen a guy walking down the stairs the other day, he had a cane, and he was so frustrated, he went and got a room at a hotel just so he didn't have to deal with that [[expletive).”

The woman said she normally brought her bicycle with her on the elevator to her upper-floor apartment for safe storage. After the breakdown, she began lugging the bike up more than a dozen flights of stairs every day. It is hard work, she said, but ensures that the bike isn't stolen.

“My legs and my arms are so sore,” she said. While Higgins announced plans in early 2018 for a $125 million top-to-bottom renovation of the building, the project has yet to start.