Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
I don't know the specific section, but across the river in downtown Windsor I own an apartment building several years newer than 1001 Woodward with a main floor parking garage that I wanted to turn into a commercial store and apartments. The Planning Department told me absolutely not and gave me a copy of the bylaw which stated I needed one parking spot per apartment unless it was a grandfathered in like you'd with a much older building that never had parking. They had a by-law on office/retail space, but I forget what it was. I asked if I could could buy a vacant lot half a block down the street and use that as parking for it. Again, they told me absolutely not, it has to be a parking lot adjacent or I can't convert the garage. Now, I'm sure a much larger city like Detroit has a similar by-law on the books and I'm guessing that that attached garage to 1001 Woodward was required by the planning department before they issued a building permit for 1001 Woodward. Those parking garages and spots are a package deal with the building and I doubt they would get built if the city didn't require it.
Windsor doesn't have any residential zoning classifications that preclude a parking requirement? I'm surprised. There are a lot of cities [[and the club is growing) with residential zoning classifications where there is no parking requirement.