Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default President Trump Proposes Major Changes in Food Assistance Programs

I understand the majority of you despise President Trump and will argue against anything that comes out of his administration. That said, his latest proposal appears to be worthy of consideration.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...133500122.html

I remember bringing this up on a thread in the old forum, so I was excited to see the issue of food benefits being tackled and would support some of these proposed changes [[Only if they end improving the quality of the goods/service of those that rely on food assistance AND lower the costs).

What does everyone else think? Is such a drastic change back to direct government supplied benefits worth considering? Good? Bad? What could be done to ensure that this isn't just a slashing of benefits for the cost savings alone ?

Some of the possible benefits I could think of.

1.The most obvious is the real possibility of reducing the high costs, waste and corruption that is prevalent in the current EBT based assistance programs. Ending the ridiculousness of $4 party store cans of beans and the horse trading of EBT benefits for cash/non permissible purchases.
    2. Improvements in the nutritional value of the food being provided. Empty calories and other "Junk foods" could simply be excluded or at least limited.
    3. Better access for those in food deserts such as struggling urban and rural areas.
    4. Service for those that may be disabled, elderly or simply without transportation.
    5. Slightly odd, but a lot more packages for the struggling United States Postal Service.

Possible downsides to returning to government provided food basics.

1.Major financial hit to existing retailers in areas with high food assistance rates.
    2.Inability to provide fresh/perishable items [[Although I think that could be overcome eventually).
    3.Issues for those on restricted diets if choices are limited.
    4.Delivery issues. Lost/damaged/stolen are serious issues when one is relying on their meals to be delivered.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-13-18 at 07:21 PM.