Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Spirit to cut plane services

Looking at the online schedule after Novermber 15th or so, it appears Spirit is dropping the non-stop from Detroit to Los Angeles and cutting NYC-La Guardia to one flight a day. Spirit and the $9 fare club have helped keep prices affordable to fly out of Detroit. I have taken many, many flights on them at great prices [[i.e. below $120 r/t, often well below).

Spirit was started in Detroit, but moved their headquarters from Eastpointe to Miramar FL. Their main focus is now the Caribbean and Florida, but the Detroit flights have remained, but shrunk as our economy has. Spirit tried 2 LA flights a day last year [[big disaster) and had three a day to NYC just a year or two ago. Just 4 months ago, Spirit's CEO was talking about dropping Ft Lauderdale-Los Angeles, but now Detroit gets dropped instead.....

I have noticed lots of discounted seats and lots of connector traffic through Detroit this year, a sign of the soft market.

On a brighter note, Fort Lauderdale still has three flights a day to/from Detroit, and Tampa is increasing to two flights a day, at least for the winter. Seasonal service to West Palm Beach will resume, but from Feb 10, 2010, not the end of November as it has in the past.......
    Last edited by rooms222; August-08-09 at 11:12 PM.