Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Puerto Rico. The disaster that was a long time coming.

Just two weeks ago Puerto Rico was already well on its way to economic ruin. An economy in the toilet, an aging[[And fleeing) population and 100 billion in government debt that had already put it into a state of quasi-bankruptcy. Then came Maria.

Now what can be done? Obviously the immediate threats need to be addressed. People need food, water, housing and medical care, but other than necessities to what ends should the federal government go to help? With the a real possibility of a harsher climate and more frequent hurricanes expected in the future, should efforts even be made to rebuild all that was destroyed? Perhaps a sizable mass evacuation/relocation back to the mainland would be a better option? I know of one city with a massive number of empty lots.

**Edit. I would edit the title if I could. In no way did I intend to suggest that Puerto Rico somehow deserved this storm, or that it should have happened earlier.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-30-17 at 11:28 PM.