First off, DY was the first forum I ever joined after cautiously prowling around the outskirts of it intermittently for years prior [[I also adamantly avoided the internet for many years-not out of ignorance, but out of a very valid wariness towards it, that still pops up in little ways to remind me to stay cautious). Once engaged in the manner of things here, I have learned a lot.

It amazes me how successful it happens to be, while some cities lack such forum sites. Yet, when I walk around the Jazzfest and then log in and compare here the locations of where some posters claim they post from, I'm a bit saddened to reckon that the clientele I see at the Jazzfest [[whose opinions I would value greatly) are not being represented more so on the forum.

Also, it is my understanding that some great rift occurred [[a "purge" they called it back between 2004-2006) a time back, and it caused the creation of the "other site", which seems to be inhabited with folks filled with a lot of obsessive bitterness that causes them to define themselves only by how much they hate this site and how much they can stalk and scrutinize many of the posters here.

It's a given that there are disingenuous posters on DY [[as I can provide links regarding the growing phenomenon of distrust among many folks becoming disillusioned with the internet-but I will wait...). They are poes, astroturfers, trolls, sock puppets, etc. Some former personaes even claimed that some posters went as far as to track them down outside of DY to harass them.

The issue is: does anyone have any thoughts or observations on this topic not touched upon much? I can understand how some may've wanted to "move on" from the rift or "purge' or whatever, and I'm sure many would rather disregard posters who don't mean a spit to them. Yet, what I'd like to know is are there any points other veteran posters can make [[because I certainly have more observations to add regarding this) on how they spot a disingenuous poster, mark them, and handle the situation other than simply ignoring them.

Sounds like a strained and all too unwieldly a topic to tackle, but it's something that concerns me, and I would like to believe someone else has similar concerns they've been meaning to bring up about it, as well.