Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
By pin you mean pin and chip? My U.S. issued credit cards all have chips now. I've never had a problem using them in a gas pump for credit purchases. But I never use the debit option.

Even before that you've always been able to use your cards at U.S. gas pumps the same way you would use them in an ATM machine. If your card worked in an ATM machine then it should have worked at the gas pump.

I've only been not able to use my cards in the automatic kiosks in European train stations, and that was because my cards didn't have chips at the time.
The problem the gent from the north had wasn't a technological problem, it was an implementation issue.

Some gas stations, well actually a lot of gas stations, require you to enter your 5-digit US Zip code to purchase. The banks give the gas stations lower credit card charges if they require matching zip code entry. So you tend to see this mostly in areas with higher fraud.

If you don't have a 5-digit US Zip code -- which would be most foreigners -- you can't use the card at the pump. Canadians I know are well-aware of this, and either have a workaround from their bank -- or just don't use credit.

It seems you may not understand how Chip & PIN works...? You slip your card into the machine -- and you leave it in. Then it prompts you for your PIN. You don't swipe the card at all. Both for credit and debit. This make sure that the person using the card is really you. I've yet to see a US credit card machine used with CHIP/PIN technology. But I also have mostly CHIP/PIN cards now as well.