Expressways, like everything governments do, have intended and unintended consequences. Detroit has, perhaps, more lane-miles of freeway per capita than any other major city in the world. Having said that, the thread question has to do with removing them. [[Note, if you want to argue my assertion: a toll highway is not a freeway. Also, I might be wrong, but I doubt it, and it's breathtakingly hard to count accurately.)

For the most part, this is not possible, but when you have short stretches of parallel freeway [[such as 375 and the southern part of the Lodge) it is arguable that one can be removed without devastating effect. The City of Rochester, NY, recently closed a portion of the "inner loop"; the closed portion was not signed as an Interstate Highway but was a connection to the Interstate system.

Project details: http://www.cityofrochester.gov/InnerLoopEast/

I think closing 375 as a freeway is an excellent idea and can help revitalize an area which looks promising for short-term revitalization. I agree with the comment made earlier about the Davison: sure, but why? The longer freeways: no chance.