Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    The Nationals got creative with financing. I'm pretty glad that the Tigers didn't fork over that kinda cash for an over 30 pitcher. It's gonna sting the first 2-3 years he's gone, but after that, I tihnk were gonna be happy we didn't give him that contract. It was the Prince Fielder scenario all over again.
    Now they can spread the wealth and go out and make some acquisitions that make more fiscal sense.

On a side note though. In the past Mike Illitch would have probably given the green light on a monster contract like that to chase that World Series ring he wants so badly. Anyone else thinking that maybe Mikey is slowly relinquishing control over to one of his sons and they are more into the financial aspect of running the team than the emotional? Just a thought...
    I agree with your thoughts.

The Tigers are near luxury tax threshold and I don't think want to cross it. I also think that Mike's successor will not spend like Mike himself has.

AND, there is a difference in saying: "Hey, we're this || close and Prince [[or whomever) will put us over the top."

Well Scherzer was already on the team and didn't put us 'over the top' so the dream aspect just isn't there. [[It probably is for the Nationals, though).
    Last edited by emu steve; January-21-15 at 09:23 AM.