Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Kind of O/T for Detroit [[?): Renewable energy article in today's Freep

I guess it is related as all folks use energy in one form or another for heat, cooling, lighting, etc.

Couple thoughts:

One, where in the Detroit area are coal-burning plants?

"DTE generates about 70% of its power from coal-fired plants, she said, but is closing old coal plants and seeking to diversify its energy mix as the state and utilities look at the new EPA proposal and reduce emissions." [[Freep).

One problem seems to be that wind-produced energy seems more plentiful in spring and fall [not winter, when energy needs are very high. I remember that from my days living in MI. ].

The growth in wind sourced energy seems pretty dramatic:

"Michigan went from a capacity of 2.4 megawatts of wind power in 2007 to 287 megawatts in 2011, enough to power more than 120,000 homes. The state is expected to produce an additional 3,000 megawatts as more projects are developed, according to the NRDC." [[Freep)

2.4 --> 287 --> 3,000+ megawatts [[or 3K = 10+ x 287).

BTW, if I understand this stuff, wind is plentiful in the open spaces of MI [[should also be say in states like Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.. Geothermal is very good say south of the Mason-Dixon line where heat pumps are commonly used and heat can be obtained from or pump into the ground. Hyroelectric - out West I assume. Solar - not MI - doubt solar panels are big there.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014062...y-michigan-epa
    Last edited by emu steve; June-29-14 at 05:38 AM.