Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default What happened to Brush Park in 50s/60s?

Hello, I've done a lot of research on Brush Park, particularily in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, on the various houses that used to populate the neighborhood [[and those few that still do). But something has always bothered me about Brush Park in my research. What happened to Brush Park in the 1960s [[or it could've been the 1950s)? The two aerials below dated 1951 and 1966 show in 1951, Brush Park was densely filled with Victorian houses, many converted to apartments, and a few apartment buildings built on the sites of former houses. But by 1966 most of them are gone. Was there a tear down campaign in the 60s [[or 50s) to rid Brush Park of blight? It can't have been the race riots as those didn't happen til 67. Does anyone who lived during this era know what happened to all of Brush Park's houses in the 60s or 50s? Even more are gone by 1969, but then I wonder if those were because of the race riots. Thank you.

Name:  Brush Park 1951.jpg
Views: 3961
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  Brush Park 1966.jpg
Views: 3568
Size:  47.8 KB
    Last edited by VIktor77; April-09-14 at 12:33 PM.