I have heard positives about Detroit's Gold Coast, but why would anyone want to live there? Of course you would want to live there because of the river views. However, where are the amenities that you can walk to that make a neighborhood livable?

I see so much potential, but as usual, those who live in the area are probably happy and content because of the status quo. Why change what's been the same for decades. So, why worry about walkability? I'll just get in my car and drive to everything that I need. Why build on the parking spaces that exist now and put some parking structures in or put retail on the ground floor of that parking structure or build some new residential towers?

Jefferson in that area has very little retail. Where retail could go would be on the south side, where the parking lots are, where the rarely used Owen Park is, where the abandoned River Plaza Apartment building is, and where the lot in front of the Whittier Tower and Apartments stands. So much potential, so little imagination. Too bad, that this area really isn't living up to its Gold Coast name.