Over the past few days Duggan has come out with his 10 point plan and some of the ideas are workable others most likely need more vetting. It sounds like Duggan is doing these house parties [[over 200 according to his people) and he is hearing from the people and he is responding. I won't go over all the points but one I wanted to focus on is that he will start an auto insurance company to compete with the other national brands. Surprisingly the charter gives someone the permission to do such a thing. And he stated if that goes well he will look into establishing a property insurance company. If he can do that one thing the financial burden that would be lifted from Detroit residents would be life altering other ideas include - seize abandoned homes and drug houses through the nuisance abatement programs he started as Wayne County Prosecutor a decade ago.- Create incentives to persuade residents of sparsely populated neighborhoods to move to more stable areas. One incentive: -Offering residents three times the value of their homes to move.
- Rebuild neighborhood business districts, partially through the seizure of abandoned storefronts, which would be turned over to entrepreneurs for $1.
- Streamline the demolition process, which now included 36 steps and takes three to four years, Duggan said. He added: the city has torn down 25,000 buildings in the past 30 years but the problem has gotten worse.
- Create tougher code enforcement. Lansing has more code enforcement officers than Detroit, he said.
- Require banks to participate in neighborhood redevelopment.
- Clean up vacant lots.
- Reform the Detroit Land Bank so that vacant land can be reused. The biggest part of the plan is to decentralize the Department of Neighborhoods into seven districts to match the council districts. So far what Benny has given us is the one square mile plan and a bunch of coded dog whistles "us versus them talk". What I don't understand is all Benny needs to do is go to the Detroit Future City website and there are plans that need implementation that would make the city a better place.