Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
Those empty storefronts aren't all attributable to the start of paid parking. Most of it is due to developer Hakim Fakhoury bailing on developing all those storefronts after extended disputes with the city. That's the major reason. In comparison, the parking is miniscule.
Well the Paid Parking was a direct result of him. The DDA floated Bonds for the Parking Structures for his development. They were going to be paid back by the increase in taxes the development brought in. The Parking Structures got built but the rest of the project did not. So the DDA has to make those bond payments and the only way to do it was to charge for parking.

West Dearborn needs a total overhaul of the street structure to calm traffic and open up sidewalk space, it could be a very viable downtown area in less than 5 years. The issue is that Dearborn won't let it happen. The reason Dearborn has changed so much is people here got old. It's the same issue in East Dearborn -- I actually wonder what the planners and DDA do there -- they are some of the worst in Metro Detroit. The City really should be amazing and leadership over the past 20 years has caused it to fail old people dont like change so they vote for the same people.

As for Grosse Point - I think it has the same issue as Dearborn with old people, but that seems to be changing. The major issue I see is that the Points used to only have ghetto on the south - now it is on the west as well. How many GP shop at Eastland now -- How many used to go there 15 years ago.