Our transit system is broken. But how do we fix it? There have been a lot of different ideas over the years, but what I attended the other night came from the grassroots level.

I found myself in the Elizabeth Theater, which is upstairs in the Park Bar, for CONNECTION put on by Freshwater Transit. The goal was to have a conversation about our current transit situation in metro Detroit, and how Freshwater Transit wants to move the discussion about transportation past policy and into implementation.

“We want to have a conversation about transit that is actually about transit, connectivity and connecting people from A to B. We want to address it at the operational level, we want to form an entity that can vision the transit properly, engage the community in a productive way and actually operate the service,” said Neil Greenberg of Freshwater Transit who led the meeting.

This idea started two years ago with the creation of Freshwater Railways, a website that shows an alternative transit system for metro Detroit. One where we actually had a rail and bus system throughout Southeast Michigan connecting Detroit to Ann Arbor, Flint, Pontiac and Port Huron. The site, when you follow the link, is so real they got inquiries from some people wondering where the stations are when they went to the locations lined out.

http://blog.thedetroithub.com/2012/1...-move-detroit/

Go to the link above and check out the map they have created. Not exactly realistic, but cool nonetheless.