Former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi [[D-CA) appeared on the Rachel Maddow show on Sept. 26, 2012, during which she made the following comments about how the Democrats would regain control of the House of Representatives on Nov. 6th:
"But when August 11th [2012], mark that date on your calendar, when [Paul] Ryan was chosen [as Romney's running mate], that made a very big difference, because Medicare, Medicare, Medicare, the three most important issues in the campaign, in alphabetical order, that issue was clarified, focus was on it, and we could not lose the debate about Medicare, because if we do, forget Democrats, forget Republicans, Medicare is gone.

....And we expect to win about 20 seats in the states I just named. Then we go where the president is, Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Nevada, states like that, to take us, oh, I want to go beyond 25. I`d like to have 35.

....So, onward to victory, don`t agonize, organize. Drive for 25!"
Well, apparently there has been - and continues to be - more agonizing than organizing:
Medicare fades as ‘majority-maker’ issue for House Dems
The Hill
By Sam Baker - 11/03/12 06:00 AM ET

Attacking Paul Ryan’s Medicare plan — once seen as the most potent weapon in House Democrats’ campaign arsenal — is turning out to be a dud.

Democratic leaders have hit Medicare harder than any other issue for more than a year, even calling Ryan’s plan a “majority-maker.” But with Election Day just around the corner, Democrats are looking at pickups in the single digits — far short of the 25 seats they would need to retake the House.

Medicare simply hasn’t become the powerful tool that Democrats — and even many Republicans — expected.

.....Some GOP operatives fretted that adding Ryan to the ticket would elevate his controversial Medicare plan and threaten down-ballot candidates even more than Mitt Romney.

Instead, Republicans now have a better chance of keeping the House than of winning the White House.