Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
Corktown im speaking from my own personal experience. That is not an uncommon phenominon, there is even an academic term for it; its called "code-switching". Code-switching is not only utilized by Blacks, but most ethnic groups revert to a less formal language when they are among others who speak and understand the language. Haven't you ever seen a group of Mexicans talk to each other in Spanish, then just as easily switch to English. To be honest, standard english is a very cold and emotion-less dialect, and I only use it in formal applications, such as taking care of business. I also use it when communicating with non AAEV speakers, in an effort to effectively communicate.

Again, communication operates like a machine. The sender [[speaker) sends out a message to a reciever [[listener). If the message from the sender is incompatible to the reciever, a misfire occurs. In order to correct the misfire the sender must refer to the user's manual of the receiver in order to develop a new course of action so that the message is effectively communicated. Therefore it would make no sense to teach a curriculum of standard english without relating it to what the children understand. Its easier for a person to learn algebra 2 when they have been introduced to algebra 1, oppose to just teaching agebra 2 without relating it to algebra 1.

There has been numerous studies on AAEV and communication in general, just google it. Code-switching is around you everyday, and you may even participate yourself. All effective communicators do.
Having grown up in a bi-lingual household as well as a very different socioeconomic situation than my current state, I code switch all the time, so I'm very familiar with it...though acknowledge that your explanation of it was concise and impressive.

My question is whether or not there is evidence of seeing success at using AAEV as a teaching method which outputs better English speakers and writers?

SFWE can be cold, I agree. But one thing which it is remarkably good at in our system of law. My parents native language was too primitive that even in their home country, they opt to use SFWE in contractual agreements and such.