Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
As long as immigrants continue to pour into Hamtown, we'll be just fine. As I have stated on previous threads, on my block alone, 5 houses have been gutted down to the studs and completely rebuilt and rewired for them to live in. I say that's good for the community and think this city and state could use more of them, as they make the area a better place, as evident by all the rebuilt houses.
I agree but have some reservations about the reliance upon an immigrant community.

Hamtramck has an income tax. Many immigrants have not yet found work, or work off the books-making their incomes difficult to tax.

Rental housing is also taxed at a higher non-homesteaded rate. Often times these rental properties are hard to track. There are cases where you could have two families living/renting a homesteaded property. I believe all rental properties should have a rental certificate displayed in a front window.

Whether an intentional dodge or simple ignorance of the rules, there are many who enjoy city services without contributing.

I think Hamtramck will really begin to take off as the legitimate ownership to rental ratio shifts. I have heard that it is close to 60% rental. As people develop a vested interest in property the will develop a vested interest in the city.

How about an ordinance stating that no one individual/company/family can own more than 8 non-contiguous structures/parcels?