I can't help but feel pretty optimistic right not about our city. Yes, the city government is pretty messed up, but I think that will improve, even if at the point of a gun.

What I am really chirpy about is the plethora of things that really seem to happening. Bridge announcement on Friday. Gilbert's buy and fixing and renting out lots of space. Masonic upgrade. New apartments getting build. Globe building renovation. Ilitch actually paying people to design an arena. Cobo renovations well underway. Lots of work to do in a million areas, yes. But a lot of work seems now to be getting done. I don't like the term "critical mass" because it implies that there is a single point at which there is no turning back. In reality, I think lots of stuff just happens to be going the right way.

Please be aware I am not trying to open a thread here about any paticular development. Some have more merit than others in our personal opinions of course. I'm only saying that every now and then, as we bicker and fight over Kwame and Bing and the Council and Snyder, we should step back and look at the big picture: bank account aside, I think Detroit is more alive in many ways than it has been in ages.

Did anyone see Tuesday's NY Post article about Detroit?
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...FtFCnHbMzVuTzK