They don't sell out every night and haven't for a while. They get creative to fill it up [[as did the Pistons during their "sell out" streak). You can get seats on the secondary market for less than face value a lot of nights and sometimes the playoff games don't sell out, especially the early rounds. In fact, you could get Tigers playoff seats last year for less than face value on StubHub and other websites.

The trend is to start building smaller stadiums. The baby boomers are getting older and have less disposable income, couple that with staying home with a good HD TV being an attractive option when you price out a night at the game.

All that said I hope they do this right and soon. Somethine with an old school vibe like Conseco Fieldhouse [[now Banker's Life Fieldhouse) in Indy. It's right in the heart of downtown and is surrounded by retail, bars and restaurants. Foxtown would be busy year round if they do this and make the area really attractive to development.

I would love to see the Pistons get on board somehow. I think they would benefit from being downtown, especially with gas prices so high. They had some dreadful attendance numbers last year. Being downtown makes them closer to Windsor, downriver, Dearborn and the young professionals slowly making their way downtown. It seems inevitable that they return to Detroit eventually so let's get them in on the planning stages rather than shoehorning them in 10 years down the way.