I'm going to put my search for a stately manor in Detroit on hold for a while and bring before you a topic of an entrepreneurial nature. I thank all of you who responded to my two previous posts about the delightful old houses for sale in La Salle Gardens and the University District. You all are a lively, at times witty, bunch with lots to say about nearly anything. On occasion, however, you tend to take things a bit too far and start squabbling and calling each other names. Maybe you should rename this forum DEBATE DETROIT! To outsiders like myself and poor Zeyrek, the Swedish guy, it's like being at a dinner party and having to listen to the host and hostess arguing at the dinner table in front of all their guests. But I must commend all of you for being such good writers and using correct grammar and spelling. As an English teacher, I value such things and always notice them.

When I return to the U.S. from the Middle East, I want to have my own business, having grown weary of pleasing my bosses and feeling the entrepreneurial spirit within me. I was curious to know what the situation is like in Detroit for people who want to start a small business. My dream is to have a restaurant that has a floor show with dancing girls performing cabaret numbers. On a less grand scale, I've also considered having a swanky cafe that also serves gelato in a myriad of flavors. I don't know if Detroit would even be able to support businesses like that considering the present economy. As I take a virtual tour of Detroit on Google, I see a lot of vacant businesses and shops, and I find that really discouraging. So, my two questions today are...

Can Detroit support a cafe or a restaurant of this sort?

What would be the ideal location for a cafe or a restaurant?

Now, if I could find a forum that specialized in small businesses in Detroit, that would be ideal, but in the absence of such a forum, I'll ask you all for your thoughts on the subject. I'd like to think that Detroit would welcome entrepreneurs with open arms as they would create new jobs, but my more pragmatic side is telling me otherwise. I've even considered living in Detroit and opening up my business in one of the suburbs, but I don't know how feasible that would be, either.