Not so fast.
I live, and work, in Detroit. The group of people who still have the goddam Warm Fuzzies for Kilpatrick is not so small. I hear them all of the time. It's not just a squad of damn fool Baptist ministers and their idiot flock. There are plenty of folks who still believe that Kwame Kilpatrick was great for this city, that the only thing he's really guilty of is "getting some pussy on the side," and that the main cause of his getting run out of office is that, despite so many affluent white folks having long ago high-tailed it out of the city, there yet exists a roomful of them who were single-mindedly devoted, to the point of obsession, with deep-sixing his career because there's something threatening and entirely intolerable about a young black man being successful & powerful.
After all, if a goddam genius such as P. Diddy [[or whatever the fuck he wants us to call him, now) believes shit like that, there must be something to it, right?
So, I wouldn't be so quick to write off Kilpatrick's chances at a career re-boot. While that last margin of victory may be small, I'm willing to bet that, with the cooperation of the aggressively ignorant and self-destructively reactionary Detroit voters, he could successfully exploit the image of Kwame As Martyr into a campaign that would rope in [[y'know, as with cattle) a considerably larger bloc of citizens who are much more their own enemies than is any real or imaginary convocation of white folks who have nothing better to do than to chase off a "strong young black man" whose most indelible accomplishment was that of reinforcing every negative racial stereotype he could get his big, groping paws on.