I had an idea [[I am probably not the first to have it, but I've never seen it posted here). What if all public transit systems in Michigan [[Detroit, suburban, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Flint, Grand Rapids bus systems, People Mover, any future light rail) used a universal pass card [[metrocard, call it whatever)? One card that could be used on any of these systems. I think it could be a way of making mass transit easier to use and would lead to more people using mass transit. MDOT could run the card system.

I figure that there would be 2 types of cards [[like they had in NYC when I lived there). First, a debit-system card, where you load any amount you like on them. When swiped, the fare value is deducted and given to the transit system you entered. The second would be for daily/weekly/monthly unlimited passes. MDOT would collect all money on unlimited cards, and distribute the money to local transit systems based on how many unlimited swipes there were in a given month [[i.e., if DDOT buses had 55% of the swipes statewide, DDOT would get 55% of that month's unlimited swipe money).

This could make transferring easy between different lines/systems. Visitors might also find it easier, knowing they have access to different systems, and don't have to worry about correct change. fare, etc. Also, college kids who live back and forth between home and school could use it on both systems.

I know I use the PM and buses in Detroit, and I go to Lansing/ East Lansing and Ann Arbor several times a year, but never use the transit systems in those cities. I don't know why. I used CATA in East Lansing daily when I was at MSU. A mass transit rider in any part of the state would have in their head that they have ready transit in any other urban part of the state they travel to. More broadly, it woud help to create the vision [[hopefully one day reality) that mass transit in Michigan is one interchangeable system. You can drive your car on any Michigan road, you should be able to "ride your card" on any Michigan transit system.

In fact this card could also be accepted at municipal parking garages/ meters. You could park in downtown Ann Arbor and then take an AA bus Michigan Stadium.

Although I don't know the details, I wouldn't think this would be either time consuming or highly expensive to implement. The technology and equipment are already in existence. It would just require installation, and could be phased in.

What do you think?